History

On 9th April, 1882, 6 days after the outlaw Jesse James was shot by Robert Ford and just a few months before work began on rebuilding Buckfast Abbey, a gathering of local Baptists took place at 36 The Parade, Okehampton, the home of Richard Veysey Bray. 

 

Two years later the growing congregation was meeting in an upper room of the Fountain Inn in Fore Street, opposite the present Baptist chapel, which was opened for worship in 1889 and extended in 1901.

 

In 1977 the old organ was sold, its replacement being the present instrument, which came from the Congregational Church.  The original pews, pulpit and baptistry have been removed and the congregation now uses chairs, with a platform for the music group. A new baptistry has been built to one side of the platform and toilets to the other.  Downstairs, rooms were added for children’s work, along with a kitchen.

 

The church has been served by many ministers over the years. Members have been through times of encouragement and blessing, along with some difficult periods, not least the Covid-19 pandemic, but God has been faithful and we remain committed to following His purposes for our church and community.

1906-Fore-Street-Baptist-Church-Okehampton-Membership-Card.jpg
IMG_6503.jpg
IMG_6487.jpg